Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Last chance to run (or bike), pre-marathon

Now in the final stages of the taper, I have one, last weekend run before the November 18 Philadelphia Marathon. This Saturday, November 10, I'll run 10 miles in the Wissahickon. Leaving my house at 7:00 a.m., I'll be at Rittenhouse Town at 7:20, Valley Green at 7:45, Bells Mill Road at 8:05. You can meet me at any of these spots along the way, and run or bike as long as you like: 1 mile to 10. Post-run bagels, juice and coffee at my house for anyone who comes along.

The "taper," is a relative rest period before a race to give the body time to recover from the stress of hard training. Without completely reverting to the couch, the taper is a period of less training to give the body a sense of rest, to rebuild energy stores, and to repair muscles, so you can go into the race fresh, healthy, and ready to run.

No comments: