Sunday, November 11, 2007

Two ways to follow me in the Philadelphia Marathon

Old school or new school. Digital or analogue. IRL or VR. Take your pick.

On Sunday, November 18, you can keep track of my progress in the Philadelphia Marathon, in person or via real-time updates by email or text message.

Digital/remote option: register to receive instant updates as I cross timing mats along the course. You can chose to get split times (how I'm doing along the way), or just my finishing time (your digital confirmation that I survived).

Live, and in person option: although anywhere along the course is good, there are several recommended cheer zones, where the viewing may be more exciting. Going the "anywhere is good" route, feel free to park yourself anwhere (anywhere safe) along the route.

How to know when to be there: My training pace is 10 mintues per mile, so just multiply the mile point on the course by 10 minutes, and that's my target pace. The marathon starts at 7:00 a.m. (For example: if you're watching at Kelly Drive and Fountain Green, which the course passes twice, I'll probably pass at around 150 minutes - two hours and 30 minutes, or 9:30 a.m. - for the first pass at the 15 mile mark; and again at 230 minutes - 3 hours and 50 minutes, or 10:50 a.m. - for the second pass at the 23 mile mark. Depending on conditions, I could be up to a minute-per-mile ahead of pace (so getting there early will make sure I don't miss you) or up to two minutes-per-mile behind pace (so don't assume you've missed me if I'm not there at the 10 minute/mile mark).

Where I'll really need you: along Kelly Drive, between the Art Museum and Manayunk. I ran 20 miles a couple of weeks ago, and felt like I could have run the other 6.2, but it's impossible to predict what will really happen during the marathon. Just in case I'm running out of steam, hitting the wall, bonking, or leaning toward the curb with a nice nap in mind, seeing you along that last few miles, especially the final six mile stretch from Manayunk back to the Art Museum, will undoubtedly give me a boost and keep me pushing to the end. Even if I'm feeling great, you'll give me energy for a strong finish.

Be sure to yell out so I can thank you!

No comments: